CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 28, 2009

You’re a good cooker …




Many years ago Andrew complimented me on the dinner meal with the words, “Mama, you’re a good cooker.” Before you think I’m bragging it is noteworthy to mention the menu, Chef Boyardee Ravioli (it was with meat—I think),
canned green beans,
and generic white bread.
It was a seminal moment. I reconsidered my audience at that moment and returned to considering the menus preferences only of Mark and myself. Translation: onions and mushrooms returned as ingredients.

Earlier this week we had a chicken stir-fry for dinner. This is really fast food. Andrew asked me where I got this recipe. I shrugged because it was more or less “invented” with leftovers. It rated an 8+ so here you go with the proportions—substitute with what you have on hand and FYI, I buy the rice at Fan’s for $1.


Stir Fry Chicken and Vegetable

3 tablespoons canola oil

½ pound cooked chicken breast, cut diagonally in to ¼” thick slices

Frozen vegetables (I used peppers)

Fresh vegetables (I used mushrooms, onion, zucchini, etc.)

2 tablespoons water

2 tablespoons soy sauce

Heat a large, heavy skillet or work over high heat until water sizzles when dropped on to the skillet. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of the oil and tilt the pan gently in all directions until the oil has coated the surface. When the oil is hot (not to the point of smoking), add the chicken breast slices and stir fry for 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a bowl.

Add the remaining oil to the skillet. When hot, add the fresh vegetables and stir-fry for about 4 minutes, until the larger pieces are cooked through, but still crunchy. Then add the frozen vegetables and stir-fry for 2-4 minutes (I put the frozen peppers in a colander and ran some cool water over them to remove the “ice” and then towel dried them before I put them in the skillet). Return the chicken to the skillet, add the water and soy sauce (I used low sodium since you get all the flavor and reduced sodium), and stir-fry for an additional 2 minutes. Cover the pan and steam over medium heat for 4 minutes.

You can use chicken broth as a substitute for the water. It is more flavorful and adds dimension. You may need more than 2 tablespoons for water/broth.

Remove the chicken and vegetables with a slotted spoon. Spoon the liquid into small bowls and serve as gravy.




The Chef



2 comments:

Leah said...

Yes being a good cooker at my house is pretty easy if Noah is the judge. Lean Cuisine's get a 10++.

Patricia said...

Mac and cheese and hot dogs rate at the top for my kids, but your stir fry sounds delicious to me.